The Odd Gentlemen is an independent video game studio founded in the fall of 2008. The studio’s debut title was the critically acclaimed, multi-award winning The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom, released for Xbox Live and PC. Recently the studio released the Apple Editor’s Choice Game, Flea Symphony for iOS and announced Wayward Manor a new game in collaboration with author Neil Gaiman.
The Odd Gentlemen strive to become masters of the short form gaming experience. They make games that are humorous and create charm with new worlds, fantastical characters, and compelling stories inside of experimental gameplay. The Odd Gents are purveyors of games that are easy to pick up and play but provide depth to the thinking gamer. They make games that both the old and young can enjoy alike.
Title: Gameplay/Generalist Engineer
We are looking for an engineer who wants to be part of a creative focused independent game studio. We make cross-platform games for consoles (current and next-gen), PC, Mac, iOS, and Android.
The position will start as a contract position with the option for a full-time hire or contract extension after initial project completion.
- Implement UI and HUD framework
- Develop unique and innovative gameplay systems
- Create and collaborate on tools and pipelines
- Work closely with the design team to specify, document, design, implement, profile, optimize and debug gameplay systems
- Rapidly iterate on mechanics, tools, etc. to constantly refine game
- In early stages of development, create prototypes to quickly get to the core fun factor of an idea
- Integrate platform specific requirements and maintain up-to-date knowledge of changes to platform OS.
- Able to actively contribute to a creative environment and work as a team
- A passion for innovative games.
- Able to establish priorities, work independently, and proceed with objectives without constant supervision.
- Ensure quality & consistency for the game from the inside out
- Adheres to product and deliverable due dates to keep game progressing at scheduled pace
- Great attitude even in the difficult times of a game production schedule.
- Researches, documents, and applies new knowledge to the game when necessary
- Great written and oral communication
Credentials and Experience:
- 2 shipped titles. Preferably one for mobile platforms.
- 3 years experience coding for games.
- Can program with C#, Java, C/C++
- Passion for games and game development
- Positive and professional attitude.
- B.S. Degree or higher in Computer Science or related field
We’d love to hear from you. If you’re interested, please send a cover letter and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
This is for an in-house position at our studio in Los Angeles.